There’s nothing better than an Aussie meat pie… except this vegetarian version!
- ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion
- 2 small carrots
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 500g mushrooms
- 1 ½ cup canned lentils (just under 1 tin)
- 2 cups reduced salt vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dry thyme
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 puff pastry sheet (you can find these in the frozen section)
- 1 free range egg
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Remove puff pastry sheet from freezer to thaw.
- Dice the onion and carrots. Wash any dirt off the mushrooms and dice. Crush the garlic cloves. Drain and rinse lentils well.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and cook over medium heat until onion is translucent. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook until mushrooms begin to cook down. Add lentils, vegetable stock, tomato paste, soy sauce, and thyme.
- Meanwhile, mix corn starch in a bowl with a small amount of water. Add to the pan and turn up heat so the mixture comes to a boil and the sauce thickens up. Remove from the heat and cover to let the flavours infuse.
- If needed, roll puff pastry flat. Place a ramekin upside down on the pastry sheet and using a knife, cut around the rim. Cut a small x in the middle of the circle. Repeat 3 times.
- Spoon ¼ of the lentil mix into each ramekin and cover with a circle of pastry.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and brush over the top of the pastry.
- Place ramekins onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins, or until the pastry circles are golden brown.