A perfect and delicious way to use up leftovers.
For the dough (get the kids involved in mixing the dough!):
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil plus some more for brushing
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 500g flour plus some more for your work surface
- 4 tsp baking powder
- Community Co Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup warm water
For the filling:
- 1 cup of Mozzarella and 1 cup of cheddar (or 3 cheese mix)
- Leftover ham
How to make it:
- Pour warm water into a bowl and sprinkle in yeast sachet. Combine with a fork and leave to stand for about 5 minutes. It should become foamy.
- Whisk oil and salt into the mix, then sift in the flour and baking powder 1 cup at a time and stir. The dough may look a bit dry.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a clean bench, and place dough onto worktop.
- Knead the dough until it becomes elastic. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Thinly coat a bowl with oil, and place the dough inside. Cover and set aside in a warm environment for about 45 minutes, or until the dough has doubled in size. Punch the dough down, cover, and let it sit for another 30 minutes.
- Split the dough into 8 and roll out into circles 1cm thick. Sprinkle cheese over 1 half and place 2 slices of tomato and ham on top of the cheese. Fold the other side of the dough over, and brush with extra olive oil.
- Place onto a hot, lightly greased barbecue and cook for 2-3 minutes or until charred. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
Top Tip: For an easier, quicker recipe use packaged dough mix.