Finger knitting is a fun winter activity the whole family can enjoy together
You will need:
- 2 different coloured wool
- Red wool
- 2 googley eyes
- Your fingers!
How to make it
Check out youtube to learn the basics of finger knitting!
- Line up the wool against each other.
- Place the wool in the palm of your hand, so that it goes in between your pointer and middle fingers. Hold secure with your thumb.
- Wrap the wool around the back of your middle finger, then over the front of your ring finger, then back over the top of your middle finger, and repeat, so that each finger has 2 loops of wool.
- Pull the bottom loops over the top loops.
- Move the strands of wool held with your thumb to the back of your hand.
- Create new loops by wrapping the wool over each finger again, just like you did in the beginning. Now pull the bottom loop over the top again and repeat.
- Keep going until your snake reaches the desired length. Now it’s time to create the head!
- Wrap the threads of wool over the top of your pointer finger, then over the top of your middle finger, behind your ring finger, around your pinky finger, and over the top of your ring finger. Pull tight!
- Pull the bottom loops over the top loops on your middle and ring fingers, as usual, so you now have 1 loop on each finger. Give the snake body a pull so the loops are as tight as possible.
- Wrap the wool under and over your pinky, under your ring finger, over your middle finger and around your pointer finger, back under your middle finger and over your ring finger to make second loops on each finger.
- As usual, pull the bottom loops over the top loops, and repeat 2 or 3 more times.
- Now, to finish the shape of the head, move the loop from your pinky finger to your ring finger. Pull the bottom loop over the top. Then, move the loop from your pointer finger to your middle finger, and pull the bottom loop over the top. You should only have two loops now!
- We’re going to make one more row. Wrap the wool over then under your middle finger, then over and under your ring finger. Pull the bottom loops over the top loops.
- To finish the finger knitting, move the loop on your ring finger to your middle finger, and pull the bottom loop over the top.
- Cut the wool from the ball, leaving about 10cm of room.
- Remove the loop from your middle finger, thread the strands of wool through and pull tight. Trim the loose wool.
- Let’s make the tongue! Cut a small piece of red wool and loop it through one of the loops as close to the tip of the head as possible. Tie it into a knot to secure. Create another knot further down the red wool to create a forked look.
- Glue the googley eyes onto the head