Barley is packed with nutrients and is a great way to add variety
- 1 tbsp + 2 tsp Community Co olive oil
- 600g sweet potato
- 1 tbsp oil, extra
- 1 leek, sliced
- few sprigs thyme, removed from stem
- 1 litre + 1 cup reduced salt vegetable stock
- 2 cups pearl barley, rinsed
- ¼ cup finely grated Community Co parmesan cheese
- 2 cups Community Co baby spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper
How to make it:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Peel and chop the sweet potato. Place onto a baking tray and toss with 1tbsp of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Bake for an hour or until golden.
- In the meantime, heat the remaining oil in a pot and add leek and thyme. Sautee until tender. Add 1L of stock and bring to the boil.
- Stir through the barley, then reduce heat and simmer with the lid on for 20 mins. Stir occasionally.
- Add the extra stock and simmer with the lid off for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- When the sweet potato has finished cooking, fold through with the cheese and spinach.