A delicious spin on a classic Aussie recipe.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 300g English spinach, chopped (or use other leafy greens like baby spinach, kale or chard)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- ½ cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 50g butter, chopped into cubes
- 1 cup Community Co 3 Blend Pizza Cheese*
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 Community Co free range egg*
- 60g Danish feta cheese, crumbled
- Community Co Sea Salt*
- Community Co Black Peppercorns*
How to make:
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan. Add onion and cook until softened. Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Remove from heat and mix in the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Sift flours into a large bowl and rub in the butter. Stir in half the parmesan. Combine buttermilk and egg, then stir into flour mixture to make a soft sticky dough.
- Knead dough on a floured surface until smooth, then separate into 8-10 small round balls. Take each ball and roll it out. Put a teaspoon of the spinach mixture into the middle of each round and then add in a few pieces of feta. Cover the mixture with the dough and roll back into a ball shape. Repeat this with the remaining dough. Brush top with extra buttermilk.
- Bake for 40 minutes. A finished loaf will sound hollow when tapped. Let stand for 30 minutes before serving.
Did you know that lemons are loaded with vitamin C? This handy little nutrient boosts the absorption of iron in plant sources, such as spinach or broccoli.